Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator is an indie dad-dating visual novel developed and published by the Game Grumps; written by Vernon Shaw and Leighton Gray and directed by Tyler J. Hutchison. The game allows players to create their own custom Dad and enter the world of Maple Bay, in which he and his daughter Amanda Ann move into the cul-de-sac filled with dateable Dads. The game was released in July 20, 2017, pushed back by its prior dates due to bug fixes post-production.
Gameplay and StoryEdit
To be added
Story and CharactersEdit
- Mat Sella, a father of one daughter who runs a coffee shop in town.
- Craig Cahn, an athletic, workaholic college friend of three.
- Hugo Vega, a high school teacher with a deviant son.
- Brian Harding, an eccentric and enthusiatic father of one who enjoys competition.
- Damien Bloodmarch, an enigmatic yet charming man with an angsty teenage son.
- Robert Small, a mysterious man with oddball habits and an interest in crytozoology.
- Joseph Christiansen, a youth pastor, paternal figure of four children, and husband in an unstable marriage.
During his time spent as a talent manager for Maker Studios, co-creator and co-writer Vernon Shaw came with the idea for the game from a joke shared with other co-creator Leighton Gray about dads visiting Disneyland, and further inspiration from the visual novel Hatoful Boyfriend. Development began after Shaw's proposal to Arin Hanson, which was immediately approved. In autumn of 2016, director Tyler Hutchison and narrative designer Jory Griffis were hired.
Though the original plan for the game's release was for Father's Day 2017, it was proven to be too difficult; instead, a teaser trailer was released on June 18, 2017. On July 14, 2017, the release date was delayed due to last-minute bugs, pushing it to July 20, 2017. A "Dadrector's Cut," including sidequests and minigames, was released on October 30, 2018.
The game received "mixed or average" ratings on some gaming review sites.
|2017||Golden Joystick Awards||Best Indie Game||Nominated|||
|PC Game of the Year||Nominated|
|Breakthrough Award (Game Grumps)||Nominated|
|2018||National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers Awards||Game, Special Class||Nominated|||
|SXSW Gaming Awards||Trending Game of the Year||Nominated|||
- Main article: Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Comic Book
On August 29, 2018, it was announced that Oni Press acquired the rights to publish comics based on the visual novel game and that the first issue was available through ComiXology and other digital stores.
- ↑ Golden Joystick Awards 2017 Nominees - Best In Slot
- ↑ Nominee List for 2017 | National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviews Corperation
- ↑ Mario Wins GOTY; Horizon Wins 7 | National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviews Corperation
- ↑ 2018 SXSW Gaming Awards Finalists | SXSW Gaming Festival
- ↑ Here are the 2018 SXSW Gamer's Voice Awards Winners - IGN
- ↑ Surprise! Dream Daddy Comics are Available Right Now From Oni Press